Testers wanted

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for some testers for a new integration pack for VMWare.  It is based off of the latest version of the VMWare CMDLets (http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/windowstoolkit/wintk40u1/html/index.html) and the source code / home of the project is out on codeplex at http://opalisvmwareip.codeplex.com/.  I have not had a chance to test all of the functionality as I built it but hopefully it all works (this is where I would like some people to kick the tires).  There is no documentation for the IP yet, but each object corresponds to a CMDLet from VMWare so you can see their documentation for a reference for now.  I have not published an OIP file up to codeplex for this project yet as I would like to get the testing done, if you respond to this though I will send you the OIP file.

Functionality

1. Get Cluster
  2. Get Datastore
  3. Get Hard Disk
  4. Get Network Adapter
  5. Get Resource Pool
  6. Get Snapshot
  7. Get VM
  8. Get VM Host
  9. Invoke VM Script
  10. Move VM
  11. New Hard Disk
  12. New Network Adapter
  13. New Snapshot
  14. New VM
  15. Remove Hard Disk
  16. Remove Network Adapter
  17. Remove Snapshot
  18. Remove VM
  19. Set Hard Disk
  20. Set Network Adapter
  21. Set Snapshot
  22. Set VM
  23. Start VM
  24. Stop VM
  25. Suspend VM

I am also taking feature requests.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Hi randorfer

We are planning to deploy Opalis in the following months and also use the Vmware Pack. Are there any Vmware SRM (Site Recovery Manager) CMDLets in the developper toolkit? I would like to automate our DR tests and a good part of it involves SRM...

Thanks,

CB

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Hey,

What functionality are you looking for specifically??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

On Feb 18, 2011 8:50 PM, cblier <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi randorfer

We are planning to deploy Opalis in the following months and also use the Vmware Pack. Are there any Vmware SRM (Site Recovery Manager) CMDLets in the developper toolkit? I would like to automate our DR tests and a good part of it involves SRM...

Thanks,

CB

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Looking to be able to trigger Vmware SRM commands from Opalis (http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/srm-api/srm_10_api.pdf)

Not sure how complicated it is to develop? At minimum would need :

Start a specific recovery plan in recovery or test mode
  Pause a running recovery plan
  Restart a paused recovery plan
  Cancel a recovery plan
  Get the final status of a recovery plan

CB

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:25 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Hey,

So it looks like SRM has a web interface so in theory you could use the ‘invoke web service’ objects that come with Opalis. I am not sure if SRM is a module that we use where I work so I am not sure if I will have access to a lab to test against. Let me look into it tomorrow and see what I find.

Ryan Andorfer - MMS 2011 Speaker – Automation Engineer

Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 9:55 PM
To: Ryan Andorfer
Subject: Re: Testers wanted [OpalisVMWareIP:241362]

Looking to be able to trigger Vmware SRM commands from Opalis (http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/srm-api/srm_10_api.pdf)

Not sure how complicated it is to develop? At minimum would need :

Start a specific recovery plan in recovery or test mode
Pause a running recovery plan
Restart a paused recovery plan
Cancel a recovery plan
Get the final status of a recovery plan

CB

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Hi Ryan,

Very nice work. I've started playing with the IP and it looks great.

I'm building a couple of VM Provisioning workflows and what's really missing is the ability to use New-OSCustomizationNicMapping and New-OSCustomizationSpec from the IP.

Any chance you can add those CMDLets?

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Hey!

I'll try and get an update in with those before MMS.  If not they will definitly get added when I get back.  Currently we have done a 'virtual desktop' deploy workflow so we use a static customization spec for configuring the machines we build in an automated fashion, after MMS we will be going down the virtual server build automation as well and will need those objects too.